Doctoral Requirements

Research Skills and Responsible Scholarship (RS2)

All doctoral students must meet the requirement for Research Skills and Responsible Scholarship (RS2) before proceeding to comprehensive exams. The requirement includes at least two components:

  • Every doctoral student is required to have training in responsible scholarship pertinent to the field(s) of research.
  • Every doctoral student is required to obtain research skills pertinent to the doctoral level of research in their field(s).

All doctoral programs have a Research Skills and Responsible Scholarship plan approved by the school/College and the Office of Graduate Studies.  Each department's plan provides details on how the requirement is to be fulfilled by students within that department.  It is the responsibility of the department to ensure that the requirement is completed in accordance with the approved plan.  COGA checks for this department verification when pre-approving the Comprehensive Oral Exam.


All doctoral students at the University of Kansas must spend two semesters, which may include one summer session, in full-time resident study at the University of Kansas.  During this period of residence, full­time involvement in academic or professional pursuits may include an appointment for teaching or research if the teaching/research is directed specifically toward the student's degree objectives.

Post-Comprehensive Exam Enrollment

The University of Kansas requires a prescribed sequence of enrollment the semester of and all semesters following a student's oral comprehensive exam.  The sequence involves many different components and failure to properly comply with the policy could result in, among other problems, a delay in graduation.  Students are strongly advised to closely review and consult the University regulations on continuous enrollment for post-comprehensive students and discuss their enrollment plan with their program advisor in advance of each semester post-comp.

Minimum Tenure

All doctoral students must spend three full academic years, or the bona fide equivalent thereof, in resident study at this or some other approved university, including the time spent in attaining the master’s degree. Resident study at less than full time requires a correspondingly longer period, but the requirement is not measured merely in hours of enrollment.

Related Policies and Forms:

Connect with the College
College Office of Graduate Affairs

Morgan Swartzlander
Assistant Director
Latest Tweets from COGA
Home to 50+ departments, centers, and programs, the School of the Arts, and the School of Public Affairs and Administration
KU offers courses in 40 languages
No. 1 ranking in city management and urban policy —U.S. News and World Report
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times