Declaration of Major

<< Back to Undergraduate Policies

Students should declare a major no later than the end of the first semester of the junior year (sometime between the completion of 45 and 60 credit hours). 

Formal major declaration by students:

  • Improves the accuracy and completeness of undergraduate major records
  • Facilitates assignment of undergraduate majors to departmental advisors
  • Encourages timely contact between students and major departments
  • Makes the declaration of a major a more formal and significant engagement between the student and the department 

Students may pick up a Declaration of Major form in the College Student Academic Services office. (Some departments also have the forms.) Students should complete the form and turn it in to the department in which they wish to major. Once the department has endorsed the Declaration of Major, it must be returned to the College Student Academic Services office in 109 Strong Hall.

Connect with the College

Student Academic Services
(785) 864-3500
Staff Profiles

College Undergraduate Newsletter
Home to 50+ departments, centers, and programs, the School of the Arts, and the School of Public Affairs and Administration
KU offers courses in 40 languages
No. 1 ranking in city management and urban policy —U.S. News and World Report
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
Nearly $290 million in financial aid annually
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times