Academic Forgiveness

<< Back to Undergraduate Policies

Academic Forgiveness allows students to remove up to three terms from their University of Kansas GPA one time in their academic career at KU. A student may request Academic Forgiveness from the Office of the Registrar if he/she meets the following conditions: 

  1. Is currently classified as an undergraduate student at KU.
  2. Has had a break in attendance of at least four years from KU.
  3. Has earned an overall GPA of less than 2.0 prior to the four year break from KU.
  4. Currently has an overall GPA since returning to KU of 2.5 or better.
  5. Has earned at least 12 credit hours since return to KU and
  6. Has consulted with his/her Academic Dean (CLAS students meet with an advisor in the College Student Academic Services office) and obtained approval (i.e., signature and stamp) on the Academic Forgiveness form.

A student may designate no more than three academic terms to be removed. The removed terms will not be computed into the student's current GPA nor will any of the removed credits count toward a degree at the University of Kansas. 

For additional questions or to pick up the Academic Forgiveness form, contact Student Academic Services.

Connect with the College

Student Academic Services
(785) 864-3500
Staff Profiles

College Undergraduate Newsletter
Home to 50+ departments, centers, and programs, the School of the Arts, and the School of Public Affairs and Administration
KU offers courses in 40 languages
No. 1 ranking in city management and urban policy —U.S. News and World Report
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
Nearly $290 million in financial aid annually
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times